FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions

Getting an EPC

EPCs contain:

  • information on your home’s energy use and carbon dioxide emissions
  • a recommendation report with suggestions to reduce energy use and carbon dioxide emissions

An EPC is required by law when a building is constructed, sold or put up for rent. If you are a landlord or homeowner and need to provide an EPC, you’ll need to contact an accredited domestic energy assessor. They will carry out the assessment and produce the certificate.

The accreditation scheme makes sure that domestic energy assessors have the necessary skills and are able to carry out the survey to agreed standards. Domestic energy assessors may be employed by a company (like an estate agent or energy company) or be self-employed. Always check that your domestic energy assessor belongs to an accreditation scheme

Craig-DEA is Fully insured and accredited with Elmhurst Energy Systems Ltd and listed with the Department of Finance and Personnel.

The EPC is valid for 10 years unless major structural changes are made to the property.

Getting an EPC for an average-sized home is likely to take the same time as a house valuation report. The exact time will vary from property to property.

By law you should receive an EPC in the following cases:

Buying a home
All sellers of homes need to ensure that they provide a Home Information Pack, which includes an EPC, free of charge to potential buyers.

Buying a newly built property
Buyers of newly built properties should receive an EPC, free of charge.

Renting a property
If you are interested in renting a property, the landlord must make an EPC available to you free of charge. However, you don’t need an EPC when you are thinking of just renting a room with shared facilities rather than renting the whole property.

If you are not in one of the above categories
Even if you don’t fall into the above categories, you can still apply for and receive an EPC from an energy assessor. This may be because you want to know how energy efficient your home is, and make improvements suggested by the recommendation report.

If you are not given an EPC when you are entitled to it, you should contact the trading standards department of your local council. Trading standards officers have the power to issue a fixed penalty notice of £200 for domestic properties where an EPC is not provided.

If you are buying a newly built home and an EPC hasn’t been provided, you should contact the building control department of your local council.

Contact me for Guaranteed Low Rates, all types of Domestic properties undertaken.

Primarily operating throughout Fermanagh and Tyrone and Mid Ulster (Including: Enniskillen, Omagh, Cookstown, Dungannon, Armagh, Portadown, Craigavon )